DD Free dish is India's one of the popular and one and only free TV DTH services. Recently DD Free dish added 4 new MPEG-2 slots on DD Free dish. These slots have increased after removing HD channels like DD India HD & DD News HD. But these practice is not enough to get the target of 250 TV channels.
As you know that HD channels need double brandwidth than simple DVB-S2 / MPEG-4 channels. So after removing these HD channels, space became available for 4 more TV slots on its platform. So now a total of 6 MPEG-2 vacant slots available for the upcoming 54th online e-auction.
DD Free dish plans to start 250+ TV channels -
Yes, it is true. Prasar has a plan to expand its bouquet to 250 TV channels, this information was already provided by the late Mr.Arun Jaitley in Parliament. But the project is delayed to due to the Corona pandemic. Although Government started 50+ Educations channels for higher education and 12 TV channels for primary education.
How Prasar Bharati may increase more slots?
There may be three options to increase these TV channels / DTH slots -
Adoption of DVB-S2X / HEVC Technology -
If Prasar Bharati adopts DVB-S2X technology and migrates all the TV channels to DVB-S2X technology then TV slots space became available double from MPEG-4 and Triple space from MPEG-2 channels.
Or Increase Transponders capacity -
GSAT-15 satellite has high power transponders, DD Free dish using about 7 Transponders/frequencies to broadcast 150+ TV channels including education TV channels. But there are lots of transponders distributed to other DTH services which can be used for only DD Free dish DTH.
Use of other satellites -
Yes, It can be another option to increase DD Free dish slots by using the GSAT-17 satellite, which is available in the same direction at 93.5 degrees east.
But GSAT-17 satellite does not have Ku-band transponders, if any other satellite launches in the same direction then it can be used.
so which are the best options for increase the vacant slot from above?
Adoption of DVB-S2X technology -
- Yes, it is the best option for Prasar Bharati because -
- There is no additional cost for the Prasar Bharati
- Picture & sound quality will be better than H.264 MPEG-4 channels
- Prasar Bharati can increase the income by renting more vacant slots
- All the set-top boxes will be replaced by H.265 technology, So it will create new demand in the market, by this Set-Top box manufacturing, GST, selling, and buying, all will be double.
- Old / low-quality boxes will be stopped from the Indian market, which coming from china as e-waste garbage.
- Other industries are moving to new technology like 2G to 3G, 3G to 4G, and 4G to 5G, then why DD Free dish still using MPEG-2 technology in 2021, now there are no satellite services that are still using MPEG-2.
As of now 94 MPEG-2 TV channels available on DD Free dish including these 6 vacant TV slots, plus 21 MPEG-4 channels and 1 HD channel.
You can also provide your views/feedback's that which option is good for increasing DD Free dish TV slots by using the comment box.