How can DD Free Dish add more TV channels in 2023? Now we are updating this post in August 2023 and telling you how DD Free Dish can increase more TV channels further. You should read this post below
29/09/2021 Update - Below was an old post written on 29th September 2021. Glad to know that DD Free Dish increased to 350+ TV channels, the same as we have thought about.
DD Free Dish is India's most popular and only free TV DTH service. Recently DD Free Dish added 4 new MPEG-2 slots on DD Free dish. These slots have increased after removing HD channels like DD India HD & DD News HD. However, this practice is not enough to reach the target of 250 TV channels.
As you know HD channels need double brandwidth than simple DVB-S2 / MPEG-4 channels. So after removing these HD channels, space became available for 4 more TV slots on its platform. So now a total of 6 MPEG-2 vacant slots are available for the upcoming 54th online e-auction.
DD Free dish plans to start 250+ TV channels -
Yes, it is true. Prasar has a plan to expand its bouquet to 250 TV channels, this information was already provided by the late Mr.Arun Jaitley in Parliament. However, the project is delayed due to the Corona pandemic. Although the Government started 50+ education channels for higher education and 12 TV channels for primary education.
Check here -
How did Prasar Bharati increase more slots?
There may be three options to increase these TV channels / DTH slots -
Adoption of DVB-S2X / HEVC Technology -
If Prasar Bharati adopts DVB-S2X technology and migrates all the TV channels to DVB-S2X technology then TV slot space becomes available double from MPEG-4 and Triple space from MPEG-2 channels.
Or Increase Transponders capacity -
GSAT-15 satellite has high-power transponders, DD Free dish using about 7 Transponders/frequencies to broadcast 150+ TV channels including education TV channels. But there are lots of transponders distributed to other DTH services that can be used for only Free dish DTH.
Use of other satellites -
Yes, It can be another option to increase DD Free dish slots by using the GSAT-17 satellite, which is available in the same direction at 93.5 degrees east.
However, the GSAT-17 satellite does not have Ku-band transponders, if any other satellite launches in the same direction then it can be used.
so which are the best options for increasing the vacant slot from above?
Adoption of DVB-S2X technology -
- Yes, it is the best option for Prasar Bharati because -
- There is no additional cost for the Prasar Bharati
- Picture & sound quality will be better than H.264 MPEG-4 channels
- Prasar Bharati can increase the income by renting more vacant slots
- All the set-top boxes will be replaced by H.265 technology, So it will create new demand in the market, By this Set-Top box manufacturing, GST, selling, and buying, all will be double.
- Old / low-quality boxes will be stopped from the Indian market, which comes from China as e-waste garbage.
- Other industries are moving to new technology like 2G to 3 G, 3 G to 4G, and 4G to 5G, so why is DD Free dish still using MPEG-2 technology in 2021, Now there are no satellite services that are still using MPEG-2.
As of now, 94 MPEG-2 TV channels are available on DD Free dish including these 6 vacant TV slots, plus 21 MPEG-4 channels and 1 HD channel.
You can also provide your views/feedback that which option is good for increasing DD Free dish TV slots by using the comment box.