For the last 6 month, this blog getting feedback and suggestions, and everybody want to know why DD Freedish DTH is not adding new channels? why are vacant stots running on DD Freedish DTH?.
As you know DD Freedish free-to-air DTH has about 22 million viewers who get 80 TV channels with Doordarshan and private TV channels without any subscription including 30+ educational TV channels.
Why are DTH Empty Slots (Test Channel) Running on DD Freedish DTH?
In short, I got some facts that government has some issues with Doordarshan Prasar Bharti regarding the revenue policy of DD Freedish DTH. Because Doordarshan is losing advertisement revenue due to the availability of so many private TV channels on DD Freedish.
TRP of free-to-air private TV channels is higher than Doordarshan channels on DD Freedish. So the government asks Prasar Bharati to revise the revenue policy of DD Freedish. DD Freedish completed almost 10+ years but the revenue model or revenue policy was not revised to increase the profit of the public broadcaster.
So I&B ministry conducts an e-auction process for vacant slots and asks for a revised revenue policy for DD Free Dish. Govt issued 8 letters but no confirmation was received from PB.
At present most of the private TV channels are running on a DD Freedish Pro-Rata basis till the new policy comes.
The government is doing a good job in this matter because it is true that no one thought about how to increase the profits of DD Freedish.
So till then wait for new TV channels on DD Freedish. As per some sources we have found on the internet that Prasar Bharati and Government are also considering implementing a revenue sharing model on DD Freedish channels. So I think DD Freedish can make money both ways.
DD Freedish should not stop or stop the services as half of the country's population is watching DD Freedish channels. Prasar Bharati should also consider other options to generate revenue from DTH. Some ideas can be -
1. Scrolling TV ads on every private TV channel.
2. Share advertisement revenue of TV channels with DD Freedish
3. The e-auction should be completed on the basis of who has agreed to share the maximum advertisement revenue.
4. Mobile number registration should be mandatory for those who buy and watch DD Freedish to get actual viewership data.
5. Show advertisements of Doordarshan channels on private TV channels.
6. Doordarshan should launch common software for all set-top boxes, which any manufacturer can use in their set-top boxes. This software should generate a system or pairing code based on the STB chip. So with the help of this code users can register their box with Doordarshan.
7. Government should launch a CAM module that can be connected with any set-top box to subscribe to pay channels on DD Freedish.
8. Government should think about set-top box portability, it is possible if only the CAM module integrated set-top box is available in the market then any user can move just by changing the CAM module.
9. Offer city-wise e-auction for DVB-T2 (DTT) channels so that local channels can participate on DTT platforms like FM radio. Government can earn revenue from every city and every local channel.
There are many ways to increase the profitability of Doordarshan channels. Please let us know if you have any other suggestions and feedback so that we can post them here.
Article was written by: Sandeep Singh / for Freedish Blog